Tuesday, September 29 - Saturday, October 3, 2015
When Thornton Wilder’s American classic debuted in 1938, the New York Times theatre critic, Brooks Atkinson, called OUR TOWN “a hauntingly beautiful play.” After seventy-five years and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, the myth of Grover’s Corners continues to fill stages around the world with a remarkably fresh view of us, breathing through the hours and minutes of our lives.
“The choice to produce OUR TOWN was one that I felt would challenge students in both a personal and professional way. Teaching us all to acknowledge the preciousness of life and to respect the gift of our time on the earth was a philosophy that Wilder felt strongly about,” says Jeffers. The play reminds us that we are all part of something bigger . . . something enduring.”
After the tragic shootings in Chattanooga, OUR TOWN took on additional meanings for all of us as we began to create our own Grovers Corners. The realization that we are all needed – every single one of us -- was ever-present. We are each creators of our community . . . we are citizens and souls of our own our town.”
UTC Theatre Company’s Our Town production features:
• Cast: Crissy Varnell, Ellie Smoak, Jake Zachry, Cierra Dolata, Falcian Page, Sarah Kay, Nick Sterling, Griffin Tedrick, Rachel Shannon, John Nichols, Mario Hoyle, Jacob Madden, Skylar Ramsey, Gabriel Bailey, Anne Sharpe, Austin Blackburn, Brianna Jones, and Mason DeGroot.
• Director: Gaye Jeffers
• Technical Direction/Lighting Designer: John R. Burgess
• Scene Designer: Adam Miecielica
• Costume Designer: Stephanie Henderson
• Stage Manager: AnnaLyssa Youngblood